Residential Trash Collection
Residential trash from single-family homes is collected by Bates Trucking and Trash Removal on Mondays and Thursdays throughout Town. Trash must be:
- placed in a leakproof bag that is capable of containing its contents; and
- placed in green trash tote issued by Bates Trash and Trucking (or other reusable trash containers); and
- placed curbside by 6:00 a.m. on scheduled trash collection days.
When one of the following holidays falls on a trash collection day, trash will not be collected until the next scheduled collection day: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
- All trash totes must be placed at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on scheduled collection day.
- Trash totes must be removed from the curb prior to midnight on trash collection day.
- All trash should be placed inside the trash totes. If the volume of household trash exceeds the capacity of the tote, place bagged trash in disposable containers beside the issued trash tote.
- Do not place recycling items in trash totes.
- All trash totes must be kept clean by the user.
- Do not place hazardous materials such as oil, paint, poison, caustics, explosives and pressurized tanks inside the trash totes.
- Syringes must be disposed of in a Sharps container. If none is available, cap needles and place inside a plastic bottle, such as soda bottle, with the lid on it. Place inside the trash tote.
- Any items which could be a hazard to the collector (such as broken glass, etc.) should be placed inside the toter or an impervious disposable container and be clearly labeled.
- Material NOT Accepted for Collection - Roof shingles, dirt, rocks, concrete, bricks, tree trunks (over 3" diameter), stumps, bamboo, pressurized containers, explosives, paint (unless paint is dry in cans), poisons, caustics, any hazardous materials, construction and demolition debris, asbestos, free liquids, sewage, sludge
To request the replacement of a damaged residential trash tote, residents should call the Department of Public Works at 301-864-1803. Staff will coordinate the replacement with the Town’s contracted trash service provider, Bates Trucking and Trash Removal, Inc.
Tote replacements are scheduled for Thursdays. The damaged tote must be available for removal or a replacement will not be issued.